2011 Ford Explorer

No Status Selected
UserPost

11:01 am
January 9, 2011

thebbqguy

Riverview, FL

posts 13

I know they haven't been out long, but has anyone towed with the new Explorer with 5,000 lbs weight limit? I'm interested in first impressions.

Brian, Riverview Florida

2:05 pm
January 9, 2011

sandersmr

Texas

posts 338

What size engine?  I have the 4.6L V8 in my F150 and even with the relatively light weight of my 16BH, I wish I had a bigger engine, especially going uphill.  It's not just weight being pulled, but the amount of drag being created by the frontal surface area of the trailer.

So if the Explorer has an engine that provides good power and the transmission is rated for towing, it might work okay.  But a lot of it is going to depend on what kind of terrain you are going to be pulling in, what kind of power you have and the ratios in the rear end.  Also the speed you will want to tow will be a factor.  We find that we do better at 62-65 than at 70 because at 70, we end up hitting over 4000 rpms going uphill.

2010 16BH towed by 2002 F-150 Super Crew 4.6L V8

2:50 pm
January 9, 2011

thebbqguy

Riverview, FL

posts 13

Post edited 9:59 pm – January 9, 2011 by thebbqguy

Most of the time, we'll be in Florida and maybe a little in south, mid, and east Georgia but you never know where the road will lead. Since Colorado is way to far for us to drive in a day or two, I doubt we'll be in the mountains very often albeit Tennessee and Kentucky does have some pretty good sized hills.

The 2011 Explorer has the 3.5L V6 rated at 290 hp with torque of 255.  That's only 2 hp shy of the old 4.6L V8 but a deficit of 60 lb-ft of torque.  Ford is projecting that the 3.5L will get 20 percent better fuel efficiency than the old V6 and 30 percent better than the V8. But, since there is no free lunch the torque suffers compared to a V-8.

Supposedly the new 2011 Explorer was designed to tow a 20 ft bass boat, but a bass boat is not a travel trailer abeit a lightweight one. I will be on the look out for impressions from those who have one and tow with it.

I also loved my F-150, but I can no longer justify the gas mileage it provides.

From an article at Examiner.com:

"What can you tow with a 5,000lb capacity? How about a brand new, fully loaded 26’ travel trailer?  TrailManor’s new Elkmont 26 offers all of the amenities of a large apartment with a weight of just 3,420lbs – leaving plenty of room to load the trailer up with supplies yet still staying under 5,000lbs. Click here for a look at the Elkmont 26, as you will see that it offers everything that you could want in a travel trailer and it is well within the 2011 Explorer’s towing capacity."

Brian, Riverview Florida

8:27 am
January 10, 2011

mbanda

ARKANSAS

posts 121

I think the lightweight they refer to is the weight of your wallet after you buy the trailer.