No Status Selected
No Tags
UserPost

6:20 pm
April 22, 2012

Mike M

SE Massachusetts

posts 88

This past week we took our 190 on it's maiden voyage.  We spent three nights in Scusset Beach State Park in eastern MA.  Because this is still the off-season up here, the amenities were limited to electrical hookup only.  No water, no campground showers or bathrooms, and no dump station. 

This meant of course hauling in and out all of our water related needs.  That said, the trip couldn't have gone better.  Some may know that the fresh water tank is only 20 gallons on the 190, so we packed another 18 in jugs in the back of the truck.  We came home with about 5 gallons of fresh.  All of our needs were duly met by the supply on hand, including all cooking, cleaning, showering (one each) and lavatory for us and 3 day guests on the third day. 

The electric hookup made it possible to save propane by using an electric heater at night, which can be quite cool this time of year.  We had no problem staying nice and toasty with a little 1500w space heater.  Having electricity is soooo nice.  Coffee maker, toaster oven, microwave…Cool

In preparing our coach for camping, I noticed that KZ was a little slack with the caulking around the shower stall.  Others might want to check theirs for similar flaws, as we all know that water is the mortal enemy of RV's.

The unit tows beautifully behind our F150, but a word to the wise – don't try towing this model with full waste tanks.  As I had mentioned earlier, we had to pack out our water because the dump station is closed this time of year.  On the 190 the waste tanks are both behind the axle.  When we hooked up to leave I immediately noticed the lack of tongue weight.  Even moving every bit of cargo forward had a neglible effect.  Going down the road, the unit was rocking to and fro like the town drunk.  Something had to give, so out went the grey water.  After that it was very manageable, and we made it the rest of the way without incident.  My septic system thanked me for the new batch of black water, and now we're all happy.

I like that we got to test the whole spectrum of capabilities of our new trailer, and I must say it's a very well engineered unit and I think we'll be very happy over the long haul with it.

Mike M.

2012 190 pulled by a 2011 F150 Supercab 3.7 2wd.

8:45 am
April 23, 2012

sandersmr

Texas

posts 338

Sounds like a great shakedown cruise!

Both of my tanks are behind the axle as well, but are much much smaller.  Even so, I try to dump before I leave as I don't have a good place to dump near home.

2010 16BH towed by 2002 F-150 Super Crew 4.6L V8

5:29 pm
April 26, 2012

Mike M

SE Massachusetts

posts 88

It was a great shakedown, sandersmr.  For this area the weather couldn't have been better, and only on our last night did we get a little rain.  That's o/k, because I was curious about the noise factor anyway and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was well muffled even with the aluminum roof.

As far as dumping is concerned, we're lucky to have a septic system at the house.  I'd much prefer to be able to dump at the camping area, but it's nice to have the option for when I need it.  I really hated to drop that grey water the way I did, but it was definitely a safety factor.

Already looking for a little weekend gig for mid-May.  Something close-by though, as I won't have a lot of time…pulling out on a Friday eve, back on Sunday.

2012 190 pulled by a 2011 F150 Supercab 3.7 2wd.

No Tags