No Tags
UserPost

5:28 pm
December 21, 2011

lotaluck

North East Ohio

posts 11

Hello,

Just wanted to say how happy I am to find this fourm. Today I purchased a new 19BH and am really excited. My wife and I have 1 child (10 yr old daughter) and we camp a lot. started in a tent and went to a very old class C a couple years ago. I have been looking at bh tt for a couple months now and almost pulled the triger on a bobcat by skyline a couple days ago. on the way home i decided to stop at one last dealership just to be sure. Wow was I suprised when i saw the sportsmen classic models. just what i was looking for. the bobcat was nice and basicly the same tt but the 19bh had a little better floor plan with the dinet up front. I came home that night and found this site, researched for a couple hours and made up my mind.

I bought the one on the lot as it was equiped with about every option they offer and to top it off it came in welllllll below budget. I will be towing with GMC envoy rated at 5700lbs so I am well below. I will purchase a prodigy bc but probably wait to see if I need a WD hitch. Think I will need one??  I also plan on piting on a 13 or 14ft awning. The dealer said he would do it but I am a little concerned as the bobcat dealer recomended not as his was not braced for  a longer awning. any recomendations there? thanks again and I will post pics when I pick it up. I plan on visiting here often

2012 19BH with u shaped dinet- 2006 GMC Envoy 4×4. n"If you dont buy a machine today, you will have ultimatly paid for one and not have it. " Henry Ford

10:21 pm
December 21, 2011

Mike Magee

near Tulsa OK

posts 204

Welcome!  With your Envoy you probably will be ok without WD or sway control, but if you have any doubts or if the handling seems squirrelly, a hitch like the Equal-i-zer can give peace of mind.  Got mine at a good price from RV Wholesalers in OH.

Some people have done axle flips to raise their 19s so the back end doesn't scrape; just something to keep in mind.  I got the Escape which sits higher to start with, because I didn't want to take chances.

Yours didn't come with an awning?  That's kind of unusual.

Mike

2008 Toyota Highlander – 2011 Escape E14RB

5:29 pm
December 28, 2011

lotaluck

North East Ohio

posts 11

Thanks for the advise Mike. I have decided to go with the equalizer, just to make the experience that much better.

As far as the awning goes it did come with a 10ft, but seeing as how we are giving so much up with the inside space I dont want to sacrifice outside. I know from experience 10ft is not big enough for our needs.

I would really like to take 3-4 bikes with us so am looking at bumper options on the trailer. Another obsticle will be carrying 3 kanoes with us. The only thing I can think of is roof mount but not sure if we can get 3 up there.

Does anyone here carry 3-4 bikes and or Kayaks that may have some ideas??

I an also thinking about making a extension for the couch(bench) to make into a bed so we can leave the dinette set up in the front. Thinking about making a frame or box that will fit inside the storage of the bench the same length as the bench and as wide as the back cushion. This should make it slightly wider than the bunks which would be great if I can pull it off.

I hope the envoy will pull this all off as I dont want to struggle. will be around 1000lbs under the max with kayaks and bikes, weel see as time will tell.

2012 19BH with u shaped dinet- 2006 GMC Envoy 4×4. n"If you dont buy a machine today, you will have ultimatly paid for one and not have it. " Henry Ford

7:34 pm
January 4, 2012

sandersmr

Texas

posts 338

I don't know about the 19BH but I would not put a bike rack on the back of my 16BH – I don't think the bumper is strong enough for 1 or 2 bikes pluse the spare, much less 3 bikes.  And 3 canoes on the roof?  That's a lot of added weight – you may easily exceed your net carrying capacity just on the canoes.

2010 16BH towed by 2002 F-150 Super Crew 4.6L V8

5:11 am
January 5, 2012

kayaknut

posts 376

Post edited 1:02 am – January 14, 2012 by kayaknut

6:39 am
January 5, 2012

DECON BLUE

posts 93

lotaluck said:

Thanks for the advise Mike. I have decided to go with the equalizer, just to make the experience that much better.

As far as the awning goes it did come with a 10ft, but seeing as how we are giving so much up with the inside space I dont want to sacrifice outside. I know from experience 10ft is not big enough for our needs.

I would really like to take 3-4 bikes with us so am looking at bumper options on the trailer. Another obsticle will be carrying 3 kanoes with us. The only thing I can think of is roof mount but not sure if we can get 3 up there.

Does anyone here carry 3-4 bikes and or Kayaks that may have some ideas??

I an also thinking about making a extension for the couch(bench) to make into a bed so we can leave the dinette set up in the front. Thinking about making a frame or box that will fit inside the storage of the bench the same length as the bench and as wide as the back cushion. This should make it slightly wider than the bunks which would be great if I can pull it off.

I hope the envoy will pull this all off as I dont want to struggle. will be around 1000lbs under the max with kayaks and bikes, weel see as time will tell.

I will try tonight to post pics of the Mod I did to the couch on mine.  Think you might like!!

3:55 pm
January 6, 2012

reeljuals

Orange Park, FL

posts 43

Welcome lotaluck

We purchased our 19BH a few months ago.  Have only been on one short trip so far.  Expect to take our next in February.  Looks like we have similar needs or wishes for our camper. 

We haven't purchased a bike rack yet, but want to haul one or two bikes.  My husband checked the rear bumper and said it was welded across the entire length and not spot welded.  Have you checked yours yet?  Our dealer seemed to think we'd have no problem adding a bike rack and hauling 2 bikes.  The spare tire is also attached to the bumper.

My husband kayaks and plans to haul his yak whenever possible.  He recently purchased Rhino Racks for our truck and will mount the yak to them.

We really like the dinette up front and prefer to keep it up as well.  My husband slept there one evening and the cushions kept moving around and he said it wasn't very comfortable.  We both agree the bunks are comfortable.  We use the top bunk for storage.  At our age, neither wants to climb up or down in the middle of the night.  I did try sleeping on the couch/bench seat one night.  Not too bad, but I could have used an extra 6-8 inches in width.  Have to say, the cushions are hard.  But I think that can get remedied by buying the inexpensive matress toppers at WM.  My biggest wish is to mod the couch/bench seat so I can sleep there and the dinette can stay up.  I saw DECON BLUE's previous post stating he did the mod to the couch.  Can't wait to see those pictures.  My husband is not that handy – so we need all the help and pics we can get.

Enjoy your new 19BH!

Judy

2012 Sportsment Classic 19BH w/U-Shaped Dinette

4:39 pm
January 6, 2012

kayaknut

posts 376

Post edited 1:03 am – January 14, 2012 by kayaknut

7:57 pm
January 6, 2012

lotaluck

North East Ohio

posts 11

thanks for everyones help. I pick it up in a couple weeks so I will have more input then.  I still hope to put a bike rack on the back, but to be safe I may have to weld some supports to strengthen up the bumper. It can be done but may voiud the warranty. I am not a tt expert but have done alot of fab work.

I do plan to haul the kayaks on the top of the suv. after a little research i think a stacker buy thule is my best option. with the tt fully loaded its gvwr is 3,500 lbs. lets say they were skinny on that weight and in all reality is is 4000 lbs. i will then add about 150 in kayaks and another 100 in bikes. that will put me a worst case scenerio of 1,450 below my maximum towing capacity of 5700lbs. How does that sound? not trying to persuade anyone like the other thread that was posted here a couple weeks ago as I claim to be no expert. but if my numbers are correct I will be within my recomended wieghts. I realize I will probably lack power on hills and what not but hopefully doable.

Pretty sure I got the couch to bed mod figured out too. it will allow me to store the extension inside the couch storage and still use it with just a couple lost inches. this will give me about a 14-16 inch extension to the width of the bed.,

Decon, i am looking forward to seeing your couch mod. it may just change the way I do mine.

Kayaknut, thanks for your advise on carrying toys. alot to keep in mind

sandesmr, thanks for advise on the roof of tt. I will be hauling on top of tv

Judy, funny how our needs are alike. I am sure we are not the only ones!!

12:41 pm
January 7, 2012

reeljuals

Orange Park, FL

posts 43

As mentioned in my earlier post, I had considered a bike rack on the bumper of our 14RB.  The owner's manual indicated a limit of 100 lbs.  So I went out and inspected the bumper.  It appeared to be a continuous weld, and I wondered why the rating was so low.  So I called KZ to double check.  They confirmed that the bumper was indeed rated for no more than 100lbs. 

Interesting, my owner's manual doesn't include any information about the bumper.

12:59 pm
January 7, 2012

kayaknut

posts 376

Post edited 1:03 am – January 14, 2012 by kayaknut

1:07 pm
January 7, 2012

reeljuals

Orange Park, FL

posts 43

kayaknut….

Found it…page 15 in my manual.  Read the entire towing section EXCEPT for the warning! LOL

Thanks

8:56 pm
January 8, 2012

sandersmr

Texas

posts 338

lotaluck said:

thanks for everyones help. I pick it up in a couple weeks so I will have more input then.  I still hope to put a bike rack on the back, but to be safe I may have to weld some supports to strengthen up the bumper. It can be done but may voiud the warranty. I am not a tt expert but have done alot of fab work.

I do plan to haul the kayaks on the top of the suv. after a little research i think a stacker buy thule is my best option. with the tt fully loaded its gvwr is 3,500 lbs. lets say they were skinny on that weight and in all reality is is 4000 lbs. i will then add about 150 in kayaks and another 100 in bikes. that will put me a worst case scenerio of 1,450 below my maximum towing capacity of 5700lbs. How does that sound? not trying to persuade anyone like the other thread that was posted here a couple weeks ago as I claim to be no expert. but if my numbers are correct I will be within my recomended wieghts. I realize I will probably lack power on hills and what not but hopefully doable.

Pretty sure I got the couch to bed mod figured out too. it will allow me to store the extension inside the couch storage and still use it with just a couple lost inches. this will give me about a 14-16 inch extension to the width of the bed.,

Decon, i am looking forward to seeing your couch mod. it may just change the way I do mine.

Kayaknut, thanks for your advise on carrying toys. alot to keep in mind

sandesmr, thanks for advise on the roof of tt. I will be hauling on top of tv

Judy, funny how our needs are alike. I am sure we are not the only ones!!

Don't forget to count the passengers and any stuff in your vehicle when determining your gross capacity.  Most vehicle ratings assume the vehicle without options and a 150 lb driver.  Don't know about you, but I haven't seen 150 pounds in forever and I have a few options like gasoline and air conditioning.

7:49 am
January 9, 2012

kayaknut

posts 376

Post edited 1:04 am – January 14, 2012 by kayaknut

10:57 am
January 12, 2012

lotaluck

North East Ohio

posts 11

sandersmr said:

Don't forget to count the passengers and any stuff in your vehicle when determining your gross capacity.  Most vehicle ratings assume the vehicle without options and a 150 lb driver.  Don't know about you, but I haven't seen 150 pounds in forever and I have a few options like gasoline and air conditioning.

Yes I too have gasoline and Airconditioning. My family and niece who camps with us will come in at 450 total on a bad day. Thank you for your help!

11:11 am
January 12, 2012

lotaluck

North East Ohio

posts 11

kayaknut said:

The following information is provided for anyone interested, and is not meant in any way to "tell" anyone what to do. 

Kayaknut, I have done some more research and tallied up the weights. I feel very comfortable I am well within my limits if we are using the mfg's limits which I think most people on here including yourself has recomended and rightfullly so.

GMC envoy weight= 4,325lbs

19BH GVWR         =  3,500lbs

22 gal of fuel         = 134lbs

Kayaks 3               =  129lbs

My familys weight plus niece who camps with us    =450lbs

3 bicycles              = 120lbs

——————————————————————————————————————-

gvwr for envoy= 10,500lbs

my combined weight 8,667lbs

——————————————————————————————————————-

I have purchased the w/d hitch and prodigy brake control. thanks for everyones help with geting me straightend around and hope to see som more classics soon

11:35 am
January 12, 2012

kayaknut

posts 376

Post edited 1:04 am – January 14, 2012 by kayaknut

9:21 am
February 23, 2012

DECON BLUE

posts 93

reeljuals said:

Welcome lotaluck

We purchased our 19BH a few months ago.  Have only been on one short trip so far.  Expect to take our next in February.  Looks like we have similar needs or wishes for our camper. 

We haven't purchased a bike rack yet, but want to haul one or two bikes.  My husband checked the rear bumper and said it was welded across the entire length and not spot welded.  Have you checked yours yet?  Our dealer seemed to think we'd have no problem adding a bike rack and hauling 2 bikes.  The spare tire is also attached to the bumper.

My husband kayaks and plans to haul his yak whenever possible.  He recently purchased Rhino Racks for our truck and will mount the yak to them.

We really like the dinette up front and prefer to keep it up as well.  My husband slept there one evening and the cushions kept moving around and he said it wasn't very comfortable.  We both agree the bunks are comfortable.  We use the top bunk for storage.  At our age, neither wants to climb up or down in the middle of the night.  I did try sleeping on the couch/bench seat one night.  Not too bad, but I could have used an extra 6-8 inches in width.  Have to say, the cushions are hard.  But I think that can get remedied by buying the inexpensive matress toppers at WM.  My biggest wish is to mod the couch/bench seat so I can sleep there and the dinette can stay up.  I saw DECON BLUE's previous post stating he did the mod to the couch.  Can't wait to see those pictures.  My husband is not that handy – so we need all the help and pics we can get.

Enjoy your new 19BH!

Judy

Pic are up in Mod section, Under heading  (Sofa to Bed)

3:05 am
March 1, 2012

coverQ

Yours didn't come with an awning?  That's kind of unusual.

7:51 am
March 1, 2012

sandersmr

Texas

posts 338

coverQ – the awnings are optional equipment.  Granted almost everyone of these small trailers I have seen have had one, but I did see one really basic unit not have one – also did not have a lot of the options inside as well.

No Tags