No Status Selected
No Tags
UserPost

6:26 am
October 21, 2011

Texassailorandhomemakerwife

posts 3

Hi Everyone!

Texas Sailor Laugh and Homemaker Wife Kiss are glad to announce that as of three days ago we are now the proud owners of a cute li'l 2012 Sportsmen 14RB, affectionately known as Li'l House!  We've done tent camping in the past; we have waited a long time for 'moving up' and look forward to our travel trailer days. 

Being the new kids on the block we have read some on the forum and have gotten great information so far, but, we still have a few questions and will appreciate any help we can get.  Here goes:

1.)  From what we've read about hanging hooks or applying velcro to the papered walls, it seems that the adhesive-type 3M Command hooks and industrial velcro are 2 products which should work well for us.  Has anyone had any experience of wallpaper being pulled off as a result of using either of these products?

2.)  When we brought Li'l House home on Tuesday we used a caster with a wheel put on the tongue jack.  The wheel turned but the caster wouldn't pivot under the load.  If we put grease in the grease fitting at the top of the jack, will it make it easy for the wheel to pivot?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

….and finally…..

3.)  Is a 15' sewer hose long enough to use or should we get a 20'?  Has anyone found yourself in the position where the 15' hose was too short?  Any recommendations of a hose to buy?

Again, from Texas thanks so much for any information any of you can pass on to these newbies! Cool  Hopefully one day we may be able to give a little help to someone.

Have a blessed day.

Texas Sailor and Homemaker Wife

7:10 am
October 21, 2011

kayaknut

posts 376

Texassailorandhomemakerwife said:

"From what we've read about hanging hooks or applying velcro to the papered walls, it seems that the adhesive-type 3M Command hooks and industrial velcro are 2 products which should work well for us.  Has anyone had any experience of wallpaper being pulled off as a result of using either of these products?"

Welcome, and congratulations on your new rig!  You're sure to enjoy it!

I have used the 3M Command products and industrial strength velcro extensively in our 14RB.  I have had no problems with the Command products causing any damage to the wall surfaces.  They remove easily and cleanly.

Removing sticky backed velcro CAN cause damage if care is not used in removing it.  The best way (that I've found), to remove it is to use WD-40.  Apply the WD-40 along an edge of the velcro strip and carefully work the edge up with your fingernail.  (Have a paper towel handy to catch any oil that runs down the wall.)  As you slowly peel up the edge of the velcro, continue to apply WD under the strip.  Allow it to soak in, and continue to slowly peel the strip away from the wall.  Its a slow process, and is a bit difficult because the oil makes gripping the velcro a challenge, but it works.  Once the strip is removed, use the paper towel and WD-40 to rub away any remaining sticky residue from the wall, and clean away the oil.  DO NOT USE SOLVANTS, such as goo-be-gone, or Oops!  They will remove the finish on the vinyl and paneling.

An additional tip if using velcro:  Be sure to purchase velcro with adhesive backing that is formulated for use on vinyl and plastic surfaces.  This will stick much better than the other adhesive backing types.

Have fun making your camper homey!

Julie

11:44 am
October 21, 2011

Mike & Diana

Lake Corpus Christi Texas

posts 93

Hi Everyone!

Texas Sailor Laugh and Homemaker Wife Kiss are glad to announce that as of three days ago we are now the proud owners of a cute li'l 2012 Sportsmen 14RB, affectionately known as Li'l House!  We've done tent camping in the past; we have waited a long time for 'moving up' and look forward to our travel trailer days. 

Being the new kids on the block we have read some on the forum and have gotten great information so far, but, we still have a few questions and will appreciate any help we can get.  Here goes:

1.)  From what we've read about hanging hooks or applying velcro to the papered walls, it seems that the adhesive-type 3M Command hooks and industrial velcro are 2 products which should work well for us.  Has anyone had any experience of wallpaper being pulled off as a result of using either of these products?

2.)  When we brought Li'l House home on Tuesday we used a caster with a wheel put on the tongue jack.  The wheel turned but the caster wouldn't pivot under the load.  If we put grease in the grease fitting at the top of the jack, will it make it easy for the wheel to pivot?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

….and finally…..

3.)  Is a 15' sewer hose long enough to use or should we get a 20'?  Has anyone found yourself in the position where the 15' hose was too short?  Any recommendations of a hose to buy?

Again, from Texas thanks so much for any information any of you can pass on to these newbies! Cool  Hopefully one day we may be able to give a little help to someone.

Have a blessed day.

Texas Sailor and Homemaker Wife

Welcome from another Texan and congrats on the new TT. You're going to enjoy it. I'd go with the 20ft hose. You never know how sites are configured till you get there. I've had our 20ft stretched to it;s max @ times, and sometimes had to reposition to get it reach. It's harder for small TT on larger sites. They may have your elec on one end and sewer on the other. Another option is to get an extention for your elec to give you mo re flexibility.

Again…WELCOME!

6:52 pm
October 21, 2011

Mike Magee

near Tulsa OK

posts 204

I really like my Rhino hose.  Tough, and easy to handle.  It came with all the attachments to fit everything.  Some RV parks expect you to screw your hose into place, and the Rhino has the right fitting.

2008 Toyota Highlander – 2011 Escape E14RB

2:01 pm
October 22, 2011

ron_sue

Soddy Daisy Tennessee

posts 109

as far as the tongue wheel goes, i had one that i tried to use with a pop-up with about 150 lb. tongue. to say it worked well would be a lie.  i sort of had to lift the tongue and kick the wheel in the right direction.  i still have it, haven't tried it on this box. my back is not strong enough to lift and kick this one..  i just use the sand pad. when hooking up it usually will slide a little to one side or the other iif needed. i just grunt a little when pushing it (makes sue think I'm strongWink)

2011 14RB /2006 dodge dakota 4×4 (giddy up 4.7l v8) (whoa prodigy p2) Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul. John Muir

5:58 am
October 25, 2011

mcmanawayp

Richland Center, WI

posts 37

Welcome!!  My wife, Jean, and I are just finishing up our second season with our 2011 14RB and have loved every minute of it.  Great little unit and trouble free.  Now . . . . . . get away from the computer, hook up and go!!!!

3:42 pm
October 25, 2011

lfcpa

Lubbock, TX

posts 23

Another Texas greeting from Lubbock. Have a 2010 14rb that I purchased used this year. Have 22 nights in it so far this year. Just blew the water out of the lines because I think the first freeze date is drawing near. Won't stop camping – just change water management until next spring. After many many popup campers it's really nice to be in a hard wall camper. No problems with ours. Have seen and camped around KZ Sportmen 16BH models and KZ Escape 14rb models around here. We have a dealer here in Lubbock. Hope to see you out camping somewhere here in Texas. I still have the pad on our tongue. Don't think I could move it if it had a wheel. I can "budge" it a little when hooking up. We also use a rino hose but I don't know the length.  Enjoy that new rig!

2:04 pm
October 27, 2011

Texassailorandhomemakerwife

posts 3

Hi Julie, Mike & Diana, Mike of OK, Ron, mcmanawayp, & Ifcpa!

Thank you all for being so kind & taking the time to write back with your suggestions.  We have been making Li'l House homey & having fun doing it. :)  Among some of the things we've done recently are putting hooks up in the bathroom & kitchen area, hung up a mirror on the outside of the restroom door, put up a lightweight paper towel holder (60s style Smile), bought the 20' sewer hose,  & drained water out of a tank, & bought a new tongue wheel.  Texas sailor said he thinks the new tongue wheel will work, but won't know for sure until we take the trailer out & then roll her back into her spot once we get back home.  In addition we've begun furnishing it with other items we'll need for our soon upcoming 2 night getaway.  I guess this is when we'll get away from this computer, hook up & go, mcmanawayp. :)

Currently we're working on coming up with a good inexpensive solution to a backsplash for the stove & kitchen sink area.  We thought about plexiglass; I think we'll probably go with another option, however.  We saw pictures on here of a couple of nice ideas.  What we're looking for, though, is something lightweight & a smooth texture, so as to be easy to clean.  Does anyone know if vinyl squares or the such would work?  Any ideas are appreciated.

Wherever you are, enjoy the cooler weather – it's about time!

Homemaker Wife

2:55 pm
October 27, 2011

kayaknut

posts 376

"Currently we're working on coming up with a good inexpensive solution to a backsplash for the stove & kitchen sink area.  We thought about plexiglass; I think we'll probably go with another option, however.  We saw pictures on here of a couple of nice ideas.  What we're looking for, though, is something lightweight & a smooth texture, so as to be easy to clean."

Homemaker Wife

Hi Homemaker!

I was able to find the thermoplastic backsplash on-line (Van Dykes Restorers) at a fraction of the cost that it sells for at the home improvement stores.  I only needed two pieces of it, so it ended up being quite affordable, even with the cost of shipping.  So if you keep your eyes peeled, you may just find a good deal (closeouts, discontinued designs, etc.)

I'm quite pleased that I went with the thermoplastic for several reasons.  A) Most importantly ~ The product is made for this specific use, so I don't have to worry about it melting or becoming a fire hazard.  (Providing it is installed within its safety limits)  B) Its EXTREMELY light weight, C) Its easy to install, D) Its easy to clean, and lastly, E) its purty! Kiss

The thermoplastic comes in a variety of designs, some with smooth surfaces, some more ornate…  I have one of the raised designs, but the material still cleans up easily with just a damp rag/sponge. 

Good luck in your search!

Julie

No Tags