4,400 MILES IN OUR NEW ESCAPE E19 SB

No Status Selected
No Tags
UserPost

6:57 pm
July 11, 2011

Ken O.

posts 39

We just completed our trip back East and had a great trip & a great time.  We left from Centennial, Colorado and headed east to western NY.  From there to western Mass. and then to Minnesota and then returning to Colorado with many tourist stops along the route.

I started out in a very nervous and uneasy state of mind since I had been warned by several people on the Forum that I was headed for all kinds to transmission problems because of the combination I was driving.  I was towing the Escape E19SB with a 2009 Kia Sedona, 6 cyl. 3.8 engine.  When I posted on the forum about my plans a was warned & warned that the car would never handle it and would burn out the transmission in no time.  I tried to have a transmission oil temp gauge installed but was not able to locate one so, I had to settle with watching the water temp gauge.  By the end of the second day on the road I was beginning to feel more comfortable about the transmission and was keeping up with the traffic.

This was our first experience with a smaller type RV.  Up to this point we had had every type of RV except a class A and most every size up to a 40 ft. fifth wheel.   We had chosen the E19SB because of it's size and the way it is equiped.  It looked like the perfect unit to downsize to and it is perfect for us.  We are a retired c ouple, parents of five "kids"— all in their 40's & 50's. and have camped since the oldest was 6 mos. old.  They all camp with their families now too.

Our tow vehicle is equiped with a Reese EH, with sway control which did a great job for us.  I monitored engine oil, transmission fluid & tire pressure closely.  The only thing I had to add was air to the tires and gas to the engine …. lots of gas!!!

I hope this is of some value to folks with tow vehicle concerns.  Just be cautious about weights and don't over over over load.

The only thing we really didn't like about the E19SB is that it has no sink in the bathCry  It's a GREAT little unit and it didn't disappoint us at all.Cool    Ken

Spree Escape E19SB – 2009 Kia Sedona 6 cyl. – WD Hitch – Anti sway Control – Electric Brakes

8:59 pm
July 29, 2011

Mike Magee

near Tulsa OK

posts 204

Sorry so many folks put a scare into you.  I tow all the time (work as well as vacations) with my V6 Highlander.  98,000 on the odometer now, and at least 80,000 of those are towing miles.  The drive traiin is doing fine.  I just slow down and shift down on the steep grades.  Glad you had a safe, fun trip and hope you get to take many more.

2008 Toyota Highlander – 2011 Escape E14RB

9:35 am
July 30, 2011

Ken O.

posts 39

Post edited 4:42 pm – July 30, 2011 by Ken O.

Mike Magee said:Sorry so many folks put a scare into you.  I tow all the time (work as well as vacations) with my V6 Highlander.  98,000 on the odometer now, and at least 80,000 of those are towing miles.  The drive traiin is doing fine.  I just slow down and shift down on the steep grades.  Glad you had a safe, fun trip and hope you get to take many more.

Hi Mike thanks for your reply to my posting.  I wish I had known your story before I left on the trip.  As I mentioned, all turned out well after all although for  the first few days I was quite uneasy.  Now, knowing your experience in addition to my own I will be much more comfortable in the future.  I would be interested to know if you follow the recommended maintenance schedule on your Highlander or do you have it serviced more frequently?  Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.  Ken O.Laugh

Spree Escape E19SB – 2009 Kia Sedona 6 cyl. – WD Hitch – Anti sway Control – Electric Brakes

No Tags