No Status Selected
No Tags
UserPost

11:31 am
November 6, 2010

Suzy-Q

Oklahoma

posts 54

We just bought our first TT, just moved up from a pop-up.  With the pop-up we kept everything in the van.  Now I need suggestions as to what to pack in the TT.  What not to pack. Paper vs plastic dishes.  I'm a real newbie when it comes to camping in a TT.  We/ve tent camped and pop-up camping  for 30 years.  So we are really excited about this new adventure.Smile

Suzy-Q

2010 14RK , 300W solar

8:14 pm
November 6, 2010

sandersmr

Texas

posts 338

I would say keep it similar to your pop-up.  Right now I still use mostly paper and plastic like I did tent camping because I'm not into doing dishes.  But as we continue to take it out on short jaunts, I find myself deciding on certain things – we keep a list going.

I have a small skillet and small sauce pan – I've decided I need a larger skillet.  I bought really cheap silverware that's easy to wash.  We have cheap cooking utensils – spoons and spatula, can opener – and storage devices – the disposable kinds and baggies.

We have a collapsible broom and dust pan.  With the doggies, it's been a boon to keeping the floor clean.

I've stolen some mod ideas here as far as baskets and small drawers to help organize stuff – there is too little storage to not be organized.

I have sheets and blankets for each bed – I thought I would use sleeping bags, but it was actually too warm for sleeping bags the first two times we went camping.  Oh I have small fans that we can use for air circulation when it's really warm – a 5000 BTU AC barely handles the Texas heat.

I'm sure that as we continue to use our TT, I will take some stuff out, but come up with other must haves.  It's a process of continued determination.

I would suggest you might try "driveway camping".  Set your TT up in your driveway and determine what you might need when going out.  You might even spend the night in the TT.  Also, our first 2 shake down trips were just overnighters and not far from civilization so when we realized we forgot paper plates the first time, I could drive down to the stop and shop and get some.  I also found some tongs that turned out to be useful for whatever we were cooking that night.

2010 16BH towed by 2002 F-150 Super Crew 4.6L V8

12:39 am
November 7, 2010

smilinjohn

Minnesota Prairie

posts 380

Welcome, Suzy-Q!

It's gettin late, so more later.  But, we love our 14RK.

Congratz.

SmileJohn

2010 Sportsmen Classic 14RK; 2005 Ford F-150, 5.4L V8; "…..it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin

8:43 am
November 8, 2010

Teaspoon

Strawberry Plains, TN

posts 246

I love my RK too, having that nice big kitchen area is wonderful. I might suggest you get a small throw rug for the bathroom area if you have the toilet/shower combo like I do..keeps the shower pan from getting so dirty, and you might hang some sort of toilet paper holder in there as well. One of those nice removeable hooks on the back of the bathroom door is nice too for hanging towels ect.For my closet I hung two of those hanging fabric cube storage things..the separated  compartments are nice for clothes, towels, shoes ect. I also got two very small rattan base lamps ( at the dollar store )  for the TT, I like the softness of the light and I put one on my kitchen counter in the corner and I use the other one for the table if we are playing cards, (its also came in handy for placing on the outside wooden picnic table at nite for dining (assuming you have elect where you are camping an a outside extension cord). You will find what you need and what you dont as you camp.This fall I took a small ceramic heater that fit on the counter and was perfect. In summer I keep a small fan to circulate the AC and cool down the TT quicker. Have fun decorating and making your RK home away from home, and welcome to the sportsmen family:)

Kim Cool  14RK'S ROCK!!!!!!

2010 Sportsmen Classic 14RK 2006 Nissan Titan V8 5.7

8:17 pm
November 8, 2010

Suzy-Q

Oklahoma

posts 54

Thanks for the post.  We're picking up our TT on Thursday.  I've been trying to figure out how to put sheets on the bed with the different size cushions.  How do you do it?   What do put in the cabinets?  This is all new to us. Once again , thanks for your suggestions.  I'm going to Wally World  tomorrow to check out the hanging shelves.

Suzy-QSmile

2010 14RK , 300W solar

9:02 am
November 9, 2010

Teaspoon

Strawberry Plains, TN

posts 246

I have a couple sets of queen size sheets…one flannel and one regular…I place the fitted sheets over three of the cushions and just cover the long cushion with a old twin sheet i had.In the morning if I decide to use the table I throw the sheets, pillows and blanket up in the storage area above the dinette. Under my stove I keep a set of lightweight pots and pans I bought in a set at the dollar store,plus I keep plastic storage bins with my can goods and boxed dinners . I also keep a plastic container of games like cards , dominoes,poker chips..In the compartment under the refrigerator I keep my dish strainer. Under the sink I keep plastic storage boxes for my dishsoap, scrubbers, extra paper towels, spice box,and a box for junk like matches, flashlight,clothes pins,yadda yadda , simular to a junk drawer.I also keep a  rubbermaid small wash tub under the stove to use when I do dishes .I like to use one for rinsing the dishes after washing them..I sometimes dont use very many utensils or plates on a weekend I camp, using paper plates instead, so I use that rubbermaid washtub to toke what little dirty dishes I have back home in so I can just throw them in the dishwasher…I also carry a coffee maker in its original box under the stove. I carry a small under the counter tv in its original flat box under the cushion storage that has the potable water tank it in, ive yet to mount the tv so I just set in on that rubbermaid washtub that i turn upside down on top of the refriderator…I make sure the box cannot dislodge any of the wires or plumbing lines to the tank however..the storage above the sink and stove I keep my plastic dishes, paper plates, cups, tupperwear,foil, storage bags, coffee, sugar, filters, and tea and teapot.The storage under the other cushion I leave for use through the outside storage compartment, where i stow all my levels,sewer hose , ect .I keep a small basket under the ac unit when I am camped for pocket stuff like keys, cellphones, wallet, ect.

Hope this helped.

Kim Cool

2010 Sportsmen Classic 14RK 2006 Nissan Titan V8 5.7

1:36 pm
November 10, 2010

Suzy-Q

Oklahoma

posts 54

Thanks Kim,

Your hints were wonderful.  My husband has taken the solarpanels that we used for the pop-up and is going to install them on the roof of the TT.  We plan to use solar power whenever possible.  We are planning a trip to Padre Island, TX this winter.  So I'll have a few months to get our camper ready.

Somehow I'm going to rig up a curtain to separate the sleeping/dinette off from the kitchen.

I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for tomorrow morning when we pick the camper up.

Suzy-Q Smile

2010 14RK , 300W solar

5:59 pm
November 10, 2010

sandersmr

Texas

posts 338

Is the roof strong enough for solar panels?  I got the impression that the roof was pretty thin.  But we have talked about solar as a mod down the road – either that or a really noisy generatorSurprised

6:43 am
November 11, 2010

Steve

San Antonio, TX

posts 193

Post edited 1:46 pm – November 11, 2010 by Steve

The roof can handle the panels just fine. On average they weigh about 20-30 pds depending on brand. 

For example here is the brand/panel I'm going to be purchasing … http://www.amsolar.com/rv100.html

http://haven106.blogspot.com

8:47 am
November 11, 2010

kayaknut

posts 376

Post edited 3:17 am – January 14, 2012 by kayaknut

4:50 pm
November 11, 2010

sandersmr

Texas

posts 338

Ummm the Seashore may not be packed, but you will find people there year round.  We have a bunch of "Winter Texans" (read snowbirds) that call TX home during the winter.  The Rio Grande Valley and along the coast are popular destinations.

The nice thing about Padre is it's really long and there's plenty of room – however, there are parts of the island that can only be reached via 4 wheel drive.

9:14 am
November 12, 2010

kayaknut

posts 376

Post edited 3:17 am – January 14, 2012 by kayaknut

9:11 am
December 5, 2010

Jeep 19BH Owner

Michigan

posts 11

Regarding Mustang Island…..

Over thanksgiving, we took a 3,200 mile trip from Michigan to Texas. On the drive down we stopped for a sleeping break at a rest stop in Southern Illinois and one rest stop outside of Dallas. After the rest stop in Dallas, we camped at the Guadalupe River State Park-

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/pu….._001.phtml

for several days while visiting family in San Antonio.

We then drove to Corpus Christi camped on Mustang Island State Park-

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/sp…..ng_island/

for four days while visiting family. The kids loved touring the Texas State Aquarium and the Lexington.

BTW, Snoopy's, under the causeway bridge to Mustang/South Padre Island has the best seafood in the world!!!!!!

Regarding both state parks, they were peaceful and the sites were clean and well maintained. We were used to the shower amenities in Michigan where you have your own locked shower room. Both parks in Texas had a shower area, three banks of showers, separated by curtains. That being said, the most important thing to me is that they had hot water and good pressure. The shower and bathrooms were clean but dated. The showers and bathroom on Mustang got dirty quick due to the sand everywhere more than anything else.

Both had water and electric hook ups, both were excellent. For the water hook ups, we attached a water filter purchased at wal-mart to the hose. The water from the TT tasted like bottle water!

On Mustang Island state park you are close BUT you do have privacy based on the set up. You have your own grill, picnic table and covered area (see pic below), behind us was only dunes and beach. The reason we were there after seeing family is for the beach which is walking distance from the park. We had our windows open all night long, there was a steady breeze and we could hear the surf crashing, soooooooooooooooooo peaceful, the stars in the sky were awesome. The park was packed over Thanksgiving (quite a few Canadians) but it was so nice and peaceful, perhaps the time of year, perhaps because of the snow birds.

We were thinking of staying on the South Padre Island Sea Shore but didn't do it because there was no bath facilities, electrical or water hook ups. Been to both beaches, Mustang by the park is more secluded than Padre.

If we were to go back we'd definitely do Mustang and Guadalupe again.

BTW, we purchased the annual Texas pass for $60 which gave us free entry to any Texas State park for a year, the camping fee was like $14 for Mustang Island and $17 for Guadalupe (Electricity and water included). 

One more thing! I picked up free Texas parks Wifi at both parks by the main offices. On Mustang, I even was able to surf the net from the picnic table at our camp site since the main office was close by.

Hope this helps!

Here's pics of our spot on Mustang Island-

12:56 pm
December 5, 2010

kayaknut

posts 376

Post edited 3:18 am – January 14, 2012 by kayaknut

3:38 pm
December 5, 2010

Jeep 19BH Owner

Michigan

posts 11

Julie,

For the past two years we've tented at Tahquamenon, Pictured Rocks, Cheboygan, Ludington, Mears by Silver Lake and decided we needed to get a TT. We're planning a trip to Florida this winter break, my middle daughter who's 12 and loves horses wants to camp in Tennessee or Kentucky next spring and plans are for a two week trip out west to Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole and then some in the summer! 

It was incredible how many Michigan natives we've run into out last trip to Texas! Also, I didn't realize how beautiful Michigan was till we started camping, now we're hooked!Laugh

John

4:27 pm
December 5, 2010

kayaknut

posts 376

Post edited 3:18 am – January 14, 2012 by kayaknut

10:25 am
December 7, 2010

Suzy-Q

Oklahoma

posts 54

Post edited 6:46 pm – October 11, 2011 by Suzy-Q

Hi Everyone!

This past October we did a Florida vacation.  It was our last trip in our Pop-up.  We left OK on 9/30 and returned home 11/4.  It was a perfect time to go to Florida.  Highs in the mid 80's lows in the 60's. our 1st stop in FL/GA border was Lake Seminole COE.  The entrance to the Parkl was in Chattahooce, FL. but the campground is in Bainbridge, GA vy nice and quiet. Restrooms vy nice.  We stayed with family on our way to Disney.  We had to days at Disney and we stayed at their CG.

Ft Wilderness.  The campsites were fantastic.  We were there in their off-season,so the cost  was cheaper $44 per night. 

Our farthest destination was Key West.  We had reservations for Bahia Honda SP.  I highly recommend you do reservations  on most of the parks.  We were very disappointed with the CG. The sites were small, but private.  The mosquitoes were aggressive.  The traffic noise from the causeway was non-stop.

We thought we were lucky to have a site right on the water, so we could hear the waves while sleeping, WRONG.  Ear plugs were the only solution for sleep.

If you plan on going to Busch Gardens, you need to stay at

Hillsborugh River SP. It's a 15 min trip to the park. The CG is very well maintained, the restrooms are vy nice.  The campsites are large.  The skeeters are very few, they get fogged once a week. 

On the panhandle there are 3 wonderful SP's ST Andrews in Panama City, Grayton Beach in Destin and Topsail Hill in Santa Rosa Beach.  In Pensacola, there is a National Seashore to camp in called Fort Pickens.  They have water & electricity.  If you like seafood the place to go is Flounder's Chowder House.  Save room for dessert, The Key Lime Pie is to die for. Yum!!  If you want to buy seafood go to Joe Patti's in Pensacola.  It's huge.

John and I prefer the west coast to the east coast, but east coast has some very nice SP's.  Anatasia in St Augustime is beautiful.  The sites are shady, close to the beach.  The skeeters aren't too bad, another is Faver/Dykes outside of St. Augustine.  It's very nice very quiet.

On down the east coast there is a CoE near Lake Ocochobee.  We haven't been there, but I heard it's very nice.  Near Cape Canaverel is a CG called Jetty Park, very nice.

You can have a very nice Florida vacation without ever going to the theme parks.  Do a swanp tour or an airboat ride to see the real Florida. As you can probably quessed We love Florida.  We both grew up there.  It's a nice place to visit,  but I don't want to live there.  The humidity in the summer is awlful.

I hoped this helped.  Next year we are planning a NW adventure.  Now that we have a TT it's going to be a lot more fun.

Bye for now…Suzy-QSmile

2010 14RK , 300W solar

No Tags