No Status Selected
UserPost

2:20 pm
July 13, 2011

Dream Girl

Winnipeg

posts 7

Hi

My name is Dream Rubi, and I will be new to the RV world starting next spring (2012)

As i'm doing my research for a potential camper, I have found out that my Jeep (that I am very passion about) is… well… not that great as a Towing Vehicle, Rated only at 3500lb
So, after doing the math, I have figure that I shouldn't tow anything heavier then 2800 Gross weight. (any wrangler Unlimited owners to share their experience?)

Not many good floor plans in the market for campers in that weight range.
In fact, the "sportsmen classic" and the "Spree Escape" (which I believe is the same, just fancyer) are the only campers series that offer smart floor plans for their size and weights.

I have allready set my eyes on the 16RBT floor plan, at 2400lb dry, including all the options that I need and want, plus 2 folds tent bads, Well… PERFECT!

No camper is perfect, so I wanted to ask the forum members here, if there is any "sportsmen classic" or "Spree Escape"  known issues that I should be aware of,  before I buy my very first camper. (new or used)

*I believe that anything can be fixed or work around, we just need a heads up.

Thanks!

Towing Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

8:54 am
July 14, 2011

DougB

Charlotte, NC

posts 31

Hi -

My TV also has a 3500 lb towing capacity and that hasn't been a problem.  But it has a tongue weight capacity of 350 lbs which has been a problem.  I have the 16 BH which shows a dry hitch weight of 262 lbs but I found that with a battery, propane tank, and anything loaded in front of the axle the tongue weight can easily go over 400 lbs.

With careful loading I can get it under 350 but it's a pain.  I don't know the tongue weight capacity of your TV but it's something to consider.

Good luck!

2010 16BH; RAV4 V6

10:44 am
July 14, 2011

Dream Girl

Winnipeg

posts 7

Post edited 5:46 pm – July 14, 2011 by Dream Girl

Hi DougB.

The tongue weight of my Jeep is also rated at 350lb… I guss I will have to wach it too…

Wouldn't loading all the camping gear in the back of the camper helps reduce the tongue weight?

(swing effect)

Any more issues I should be aware off?

2:31 pm
July 14, 2011

DougB

Charlotte, NC

posts 31

Hi again.  Yes it will.  We usually end up with a bath tub full of stuff.  But you don't want to go too far with it or it can cause sway.  I believe the rule of thumb is tongue weight should be between 9% and 15% of the gross trailer weight.  But with the axle being set relatively far back on the 16bh I think it would be difficult to get below 9%.

2010 16BH; RAV4 V6

7:13 am
July 15, 2011

Dream Girl

Winnipeg

posts 7

Well, that's the thing,

untill now, I was camping in a tent, all my gear was in the trank of my small 4dr Cavalier.

So now, with my new Jeep, I don't think that I will need to load the camper with any gear, as I can just throw it all in the back seat of my Jeep.

Any more issues that I should be aware off?

What about used one, any year model that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

9:52 am
July 22, 2011

Mike Magee

near Tulsa OK

posts 204

I believe they strengthened the frame a bit for the 2011 model year over 2010s.  The Escape has 14″ wheels available, meaning the tires have greater weight carrying capacity and the trailer will be raised up about 4″ more than the Classic… all good things IMO.

2008 Toyota Highlander – 2011 Escape E14RB