No Status Selected
No Tags
UserPost

7:53 pm
September 27, 2012

punkozuna

Oregon

posts 19

Hi! New member here. We've been living full time in our 16FKTH toy hauler for about five weeks.

I introduced myself in the intro section and want to try and recap mour modifications with some pictures (if I can figure out how).

list of mods:
"Command" adhesive backed hooks to hang towels from.

8:04 pm
September 27, 2012

punkozuna

Oregon

posts 19

Post edited 3:20 am – September 28, 2012 by punkozuna

Well that didn't work. Let me try again…..

"Command" adhesive hooks to hang towels from. There was no provision for hanging towels from the factory.

Same hooks, no towels.

That's better.

Soap dish and towel hook in bathroom. Again, no factory provision for these things from the factory.

Hooks for hanging work clothes. There's a small cabinet with a hanging rod but I need a weeks worth of work clothes since we're living in the Sportsment full time.

Small corner shelves. There are four of them in various places in the trailer.

ClosetMaid shelves.

Shelves with stuff on them.

Small walmart stackable shelves to give us a little more storage.

Toaster oven hung in a ClosetMaid hanging shelf.

All in all, nothing too drastic but a big difference in comfort.

In addition we have a small 1200 watt space heater to save on propane use in cold weather.

9:51 am
September 28, 2012

Teaspoon

Strawberry Plains, TN

posts 246

I really really like your hanging basket idea for your toaster oven. I have the exact same oven and use it all the time..this will really free up my precious counter space. Thanks so much for all the pictures of your Mods, really appreciated Smile

Teaspoon Cool

2010 Sportsmen Classic 14RK 2006 Nissan Titan V8 5.7

4:28 pm
September 28, 2012

Mike M

SE Massachusetts

posts 88

Ditto on the toaster oven mount.  I also have the exact same one…must be a camper thing!  Laugh

Did you originally have toys for the toy hauler?  Just curious how you ended up with it as your choice.

Mike

2012 190 pulled by a 2011 F150 Supercab 3.7 2wd.

7:45 pm
September 28, 2012

punkozuna

Oregon

posts 19

Mike M said:

Ditto on the toaster oven mount.  I also have the exact same one…must be a camper thing!  Laugh

Did you originally have toys for the toy hauler?  Just curious how you ended up with it as your choice.

Mike

Yeah – the toaster oven is great. $20. Works super. I like the manual spring loaded timer controls.

We used to have a couple of motor scooters and a motorcycle but we ended up never hauling them while we had the trailer. Now we have no toys but we like toy haulers because they are spacious. We've had other RVs where the bed is stuck in the corner and the person that sleeps in the back has to climb over the other one to get up in the middle of the night. The toy hauler bed/couch combo folds down to be nearly king-sized. You ca n't get that kind of bed size in a regular 16 foot trailer. Another factor was that we thought it would be handy to be able to haul stuff in the trailer – use it like a utility trailer when not camping. We also had ideas of travelling around on  buying trips for an ebay/thrift store business we were thinking about. Last, I play stand up bass and it's nice to have room in the trailer to haul one around.

Of course it's not perfect – the bathroom and kitchen are small and there isn't as much cabinet storage as a regular style camper.

7:50 pm
September 28, 2012

punkozuna

Oregon

posts 19

Teaspoon said:

I really really like your hanging basket idea for your toaster oven. I have the exact same oven and use it all the time..this will really free up my precious counter space. Thanks so much for all the pictures of your Mods, really appreciated Smile

Teaspoon Cool

Precious counter space indeed! I'm schemeing about trying to put in an old fashioned slide out "cutting board" above the microwave. We could use that as counter space while cooking.

The hanging basket was $12 at home depot and I used eye hooks with plastic anchors to hang it.

8:33 pm
September 28, 2012

sandersmr

Texas

posts 338

Like the toaster oven idea as well.  I don't have one but we do most of our cooking outside in the dutch oven.  That would be something to consider although I would then need to find a new place to put the paper towels! Surprised

2010 16BH towed by 2002 F-150 Super Crew 4.6L V8

3:21 am
September 30, 2012

Teaspoon

Strawberry Plains, TN

posts 246

Unfortuately I cant use the hanging basket mod for my toaster oven ,  I have bolstered valances over both windows in my 14rk so theres not enough depth Frown

2010 Sportsmen Classic 14RK 2006 Nissan Titan V8 5.7

9:16 am
September 30, 2012

punkozuna

Oregon

posts 19

Post edited 5:31 pm – September 30, 2012 by punkozuna

Teaspoon said:Unfortuately I cant use the hanging basket mod for my toaster oven ,  I have bolstered valances over both windows in my 14rk so theres not enough depth Frown

Bummer. I looked at pictures of a 14rk. Is there enough room in the corner between the sink and the stove? Otherwise – maybe remove one or both valences? Mine come off by removing 4 screws. Yours look about the same. Lastly, Black and Decker make a Space Maker oven that tucks up tighter against the underside of the cabinet – it might be smaller. It is more expensive though.

http://www.blackanddeckerappli…..-oven.aspx

No Tags